Skip to main content


Showing posts from July, 2014

Touring Town: Exchange District BIZ Walking Tours

Article by Roshanie & Laura, on behalf of Heritage Winnipeg Corp.
To follow up on this or any other articles on the blog, contact Heritage Winnipeg's Executive Director.

WHO: Exchange BIZ Tour Guide Maddi & Summer Students Laura McKay and Roshanie Balkaran

WHAT: East & West Exchange District BIZ Walking Tours

WHEN: Thursday, July 3rd, 2014 (we recommend doing the tour in the morning, before it gets hot)

WHERE: Met outside the Exchange District BIZ office beside Smoke's Poutinerie at 133 Albert Street

HOW MUCH: $8 for adults, $6 for youth/students/seniors, Free for kids 10 and under 

CONTACT THEM: 204-942-6716 for more details

As we are both slightly geographically challenged, this tour allowed us to familiarize ourselves with, and learn more about, the Exchange District.

Did you know that the Exchange District is a National Historic Site? Or that it was named after the Grain Exchange?
Interesting facts: 
Winnipeg used to be known as the 'Gateway to the West' a…

Advocacy Alert: The Scott Block

The Scott Block is a fine example of Richardsonian Romanesque architecture and one of only two pre-1920 structures still standing on the block of Main Street between Graham Avenue and St. Mary Avenue. Located at 272 Main Street, it is named after Lieutenant-Colonel Thomas Scott (1814-1915), member of both the First and Second Red River Expeditions. He retired from the military and settled in Winnipeg after the second expedition and founded Scott Furniture in 1874. He was also very active in politics and the community, serving as a school trustee, councillor on the first city council in Winnipeg, mayor of Winnipeg, MLA, MP, and collector of the Customs in Winnipeg.

Prior to the completion of the T. Eaton Company store in 1906, which shifted development to Portage Avenue, Main Street was the commercial hub of Winnipeg. Thus, at the turn of the century, it was on Main Street that Scott Furniture decided to build a new home for its company.

The original building was constructed in 1904, d…