Skip to main content

Posts

Showing posts from October, 2014

100 Years Young: The Marlborough Hotel

A brief history of the Marlborough Hotel at 331 Smith Street.

1913 - Designs for the new three storey hotel are drawn up by James Chrisholm and Son in 1913. More often used on churches than hotels, the architecture is in the late Gothic Revival style with an exterior covered with flower motifs, carved stonework, pointed arches, ornate parapet, and stained glass windows depicting scenes from old English fairy tales.


November 18, 1914 - The Olympia Hotel officially opens its doors under the ownership of Sicilian immigrants Leonardi Emma, Giuseppe Panaro, Augustino Badali, and Guiseppe Badali. The first guest to sign in was then-Mayor Thomas R. Deacon. It boasted such special features as a steam vacuum system in every room, a fully automated sprinkler system, and a fresh air supply and exhaust system. It was described by travel magazines at the time as "The Miniature Hotel Deluxe of Canada".

1914 - A Winnipeg Tribune article describes the bar (now Joanna's Cafe) as "wi…

Streetcar 356: Winnipeg's Last Remaining Wooden Streetcar

Article by Laura McKay and Roshanie Balkaran, on behalf of Heritage Winnipeg Corp.
To follow up on this or any other articles on the blog, contact Heritage Winnipeg's Executive Director.

Back in the Day October 20, 1882 - The Winnipeg Street Railway Company (WSRC) opened for public use, using horse-drawn streetcars. The tracks originally ran only along Main Street, but were soon expanded along Portage Avenue to the west, St. John's College to the north, and to Broadway to the south.

1885 - By this time, the single line of tack used by the horse-drawn streetcars was proving inadequate. A high volume but efficient transit system was sorely needed.

January 27, 1891 - The first electric streetcar took to the tracks in Winnipeg. Land developed in the area of what is now Osborne Street by WSRC President Mr. Austin provided the extra passengers necessary to make an electric transit system viable.


October 1909 - Streetcar 356 was completed in the Winnipeg Electric Railway Company's (WE…

The Unveiling: Upper Fort Garry Heritage Park

Upper Fort Garry Heritage Park, located at 130 Main Street, is a former fur trading fort built by the Hudson's Bay Company. It was the site of economic prosperity and political resistance, the heart and the birthplace of the province of Manitoba. Nearly lost to disintrest and neglect, Upper Fort Garry is now protected by heritage designations and transformed into an urban provincial park. It is once again an historic meeting place where the contributions of all those who helped build Manitoba are celebrated.

The Upper Fort Garry Heritage Park is an architectural and artistic interpretation of the events and significance of the Fort. The primary purpose is to provide educational and reflective opportunities for interpreting the significance of the Fort's history in the formation of the province of Manitoba and the building of Canada as a nation.Upper Fort Garry Heritage Provincial Park Business Plan
TIMELINE
1821 - The rebuilt Fort Gibraltar is renamed Fort Garry after Deputy-G…