To follow up on this or any other articles on the blog, contact Heritage Winnipeg's Executive Director.
|2014 APA recipient, Studio 511 at 511 River Avenue|
Do you know of an individual or project that should be recognized?
Be sure to nominate them using the forms below!
What are the Annual Preservation Awards?2015 marks the 30th anniversary of Heritage Winnipeg's Annual Preservation awards. Since 1985, Heritage Winnipeg has sponsored an annual awards program that seeks to recognize those people in our community who are dedicated to the protection, restoration, and conservation of Winnipeg's built heritage. Awards are also given to the owners of heritage structures who seek to sensitively restore their buildings so that they become a productive element of the economical, cultural, and social fabric of the community.
|2005 APA recipient, Klinic/the Wilson House at 545 Broadway|
Awards are presented in three basic categories:
1. Distinguished Service AwardThis award recognizes the special contributions of individuals or organizations that have demonstrated a concerted effort and leadership in protecting, conserving, promoting, or communicating the historic and/or architectural values of Winnipeg's built heritage.
2. Youth CategoryThis award recognizes the special contribution of non-professionals under the age of 25.
|2010 APA (Distinguished Service) recipient Gordon Sinclair, speaks after the presentation.|
3. Heritage Conservation AwardThis award recognizes the special efforts and excellence in specific projects to protect, conserve, and reuse structures of high historic value. Heritage Conservation Awards may be given specifically for commercial, institutional, or residential projects that involve the sensitive and adaptive reuse of these structures and provide for their long-term protection.
Heritage Conservation Awards may be given to the owners of commercial, institutional, or residential structures with historical and/or architectural value and who provide long-term protection and conservation of key architectural elements for these structures and their sensitive adaptive use. Special recognition may also be given to consultants and contractors of the project selected for an award.
In the case of a successful residential project, a special award will be given in the honour of C.W. Chivers, a well-known Winnipeg architect who designed buildings such as All Saints Church, Balmoral Hall, and the Assiniboine Park Pavilion.
|2009 APA recipient, Manoir de la Cathedrale at 321 avenue de la Cathedrale|
Nomination Form: Conservation
Nomination Form: Distinguished Service
Nomination Form: Youth
Nominations may be made in more than one category. If possible, please enclose photographs or email digitized photos.
Questions relevant to the requirements for a nomination may be directed to Ms. Cindy Tugwell, Heritage Winnipeg Executive Director, by phone (204-942-2663), fax (204-942-2094), or email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The deadline for nominations is January 17, 2015.
Completed nominations can be mailed to:
Heritage Winnipeg Corporation
#509-63 Albert Street
Winners will receive a framed certificate recognizing their efforts at a ceremony to be held on National Heritage Day - the third Monday in February.
|2008 APA recipient, The Manitoba Blue Cross Building at 599 Empress|
Recipients from 2014
Workers Compensation Board Building at 333 Broadway
- - The Workers Compensation Board of Manitoba,Owners; 1 X 1 Architecture Inc., Architects of Record; Smith Carter Architects & Engineers Inc., Design Architects; Alpha Masonry Ltd., Masonry work; Crosier Kilgour and Partners Ltd., Structural Engineers and Building Envelope Specialists; Akman Construction Ltd., Construction Manager
Canada Building at 352 Donald Street
- - Public Capital Company, Owners; Prairie Architects Inc., Architects
Scott Block at 272 Main Street (blog article on this property here)
- - Mark and Shelley Buleziuk, Owners (facade unveiling)
Institutional Conservation:Laura Secord School at 960 Wolseley Avenue
- - Winnipeg School Division; Public Schools Finance Board; Syverson Monteyne Architects (Heritage Roof Replacement Project)
Residential Conservation:Ryan Brothers Building at 110 James Avenue
- - Streetside Development Corporation, Owners; 701 Architecture
Special President's Award:Studio 511 at 511 River Avenue
- - Stonebridge Development Group, Owners; GW Architecture Inc., Architects (residential conversion of First Church of Christ Scientist to Studio 511)
Distinguished Service:Heritage Saint Norbert, Board of Directors
- - For over 33 years of service to the heritage community, their pivotal role in advocating for the preservation of many historic buildings in Saint Norbert, and the immensely successful Farmers Market.
For a more complete archive of past recipients of Heritage Winnipeg's Annual Preservation Awards, check out the website here.
Spread the word! Share and like this article on your
Facebook, Twitter, or other social media below!
To receive email updates from the blog,