To follow up on this or any other articles on the blog, contact Heritage Winnipeg's Executive Director.
|The Allman Block - photo circa 2007, courtesy of the City of Winnipeg Historical Report|
Date Listed as a Municipally-Designated Heritage Building:
November 27, 2014
November 27, 2014
Character Defining Elements:Exterior:
1) the east-facing building located mid-block on Main Street and part of an historic streetscape; and
2) ornate roof with metal pediment, carved keystone and signage reading "Allman Block"
1) ornamental tin ceiling on the ground and second floors;
2) entrance foyer in the southeast corner;
3) main staircase including wood and tin accenting;
4) original wood accenting in the hallways and offices on the second and third floors;
5) period doors with original hardware and glass; and
6) Skylight on the third floor
For more information about character-defining elements and other changes to Winnipeg's heritage by-laws, click here.
History:Daniel F. Allman moved to Winnipeg in 1899 and set up a clothing store at 580 Main Street, in the building known as the Cheapside Block. He mainly carried "Gents' Furnishings, Men's, Youth's, and Children's Clothing, Hats, Caps, and Furs" and his store included the special feature of dust-proof wardrobes to keep the articles of clothing clean.
|Second floor staircase ca 2007. Photo courtesy of the City of Winnipeg Historical Report.|
|Interior shot of the first floor ca. 2007 - note the tin ceilings from the CDEs listed above. Photo courtesy of the City of Winnipeg historical report.|
Allman continued to own and live in the building until his retirement in 1924. It was then purchased by the Royal Trust Company but sold again in 1930 to merchant A.F. Higgins before being repurchased by the Royal Trust in 1939. From 1949 on, the building was owned by a variety of tenants including everyone from doctors and dentists to unions and jewellery stores. After 1950, the top two floors became almost exclusively residential until 1980, after which no residential tenants are listed.
|Winnipeg Architect John H.G. Russell ca. 1902. Photo courtesy of the Manitoba Historical Society website.|
|Caricature of the influential architect from 1908/1909. Image courtesy of the MHS website.|
This is only a small sample of his buildings, which were built not only all over Winnipeg but Manitoba. Find a complete list of his buildings on the MHS Memorable Manitobans site here. He was widely influential, serving as the First Vice-President (1906) and President (1910) of the Manitoba Association of Architects and was a member or served with numerous other boards and community organizations. He died in 1946 and is buried in the Elmwood Cemetery.
|North facade ca 2007 - note the difference from the front facade pictured above. Photo courtesy of the City of Winnipeg Historical Report.|
Sources & Links:City of Winnipeg Historical Report - Long
City of Winnipeg Historical Report - Short
Memorable Manitobans: John H.G. Russell
To receive email updates from the blog,
Spread the word - Don't forget to like and share using the icons below!