Skip to main content

Posts

Showing posts from August, 2015

Heritage On Main: The Winnipeg Hotel at 214-216 Main Street

The Winnipeg Hotel at 214-216 Main Street doesn't look like much now, but it isthought to be the oldest hotel still operating in Winnipeg, as well as the last brick-veneered wood frame commercial building left in the city.

Brick-veneered wood frame commercial structures such as the Winnipeg Hotel have tended not to survive due to their inability to withstand heavy fire damage, the high insurance premiums associated with such buildings, their tendency to be replaced with more substantial structures, and the structural problems presented by the brick veneer. The Coronation Block on 238 King Street that housed the Shanghai Restaurant was another such building, demolished a few years ago. You can read a CBC News article, written just prior to the demolition, here



The "Garry Saloon" was erected in the summer of 1873 as a two-storey wooden frame structure built in an L-shape with a false front. Operated by a James S. Wheeler, the saloon soon came to be known as the Garry House…

Winnipeg's North End and the Community

Though the North End is not an official neighborhood, residents of Winnipeg still know of it.The North End is  filled with stories of struggle and survival. Though a poverty stricken area, it is rich in culture. Every year since 1999, Picnic in the Park is held at St. Johns Park in hopes to bring neighbors in the North End together.




The North End community is significantly shaped by its past. The period after 1896 brought large numbers of eastern European immigrants arrived in Winnipeg and settled in the North End. It was a poor and overcrowded area. There was more than 20 people living in house at a time. The houses were not connected to the water supply and this combined with overcrowding made the area a perfect place for disease to spread.

Many people were employed, often working seasonal jobs on farms or on railway construction. The problem was that they had low wages. In fact, they were earning less than half of what was needed for a normal standard of living. Not only was the No…

Heritage On Main: In the Beginning

To follow up on this or any other articles on the blog, contact Heritage Winnipeg's Executive Director.


A History of Portage & Main 
Perhaps Winnipeg's most famous corner, Portage and Main had surprisingly humble beginnings as the location of Henry McKenney's store. When McKenney arrived in the settlement where the Assiniboine River joins the Red in 1859, the main route was the Portage Trail, which followed the Assiniboine River to the main road at the fort, whose location is now commemorated withthe Upper Fort Garry Provincial Park.


This was of no consequence to McKenney, who purchased an established store only a short distance from the present Portage and Main, but a fair distance from the Fort. The store's previous owner wasAndrew McDermot, a pioneer from the third shipload of Selkirk settlers that arrived in 1815.The store was almost immediately converted into the Royal Hotel, the first hotel in Canada's West.


Due to the hotel's popularity (and that of its…