Skip to main content

Posts

Showing posts from January, 2016

Recently Designated: The Carnefac Block at 188 Princess Street

The Development of the Warehouse District  When William Avenue became a busy thoroughfare in the early 1880s, Princess Street also became significant in the development of Winnipeg's developing warehouse district. However, this development was not restricted to national firms taking advantage of the railway with large warehouses - newer and smaller businesses claimed space there as well. These smaller business often built small structures that were later expanded as the business grew.

Two-Part Commercial Blocks  Like the Lauzon Block, the Carnefac Block was designed as a two-part commercial block, a building style that can be traced to Roman times and developed into a popular form of urban structure throughout Europe and North America. These buildings are generally two to three storeys, with the lower level used for retail and the upper floors reserved for residential, office, or storage space.

Design & Construction of 188 Princess Street An integral part of the streets…

Home of Kay's Delicatessen Recently Designated: The Lauzon Block at 339 William Avenue

Quick Facts Likely designed by Johann (John) Schwab, although the architect listed is the ownerWas originally built as a butcher shop for the owner, with offices in the upper floorsThe Knights of Pythias were tenants of the upper floors for a time The building stayed in the Lauzon/Roy family until the 1990s Now the home of Kay's Delicatessen, which has kept the interior's tin ceiling and walls intact 
William Avenue in the Late 1800s  When William Avenue became one of Winnipeg's major thoroughfares in the 1880s, warehouses, banks, and businesses rapidly filled both sides of the street. These included the Leland Hotel (1884), the Central Fire Hall (1898) which sat where Old Market Square is now, and the City Market Building, which was a busy commercial and retail hub located west of City Hall, between James and William Avenues.

Further west, the street developed into a a residential neighbourhood, with sturdy homes populating both sides of the street. Winnipeg's first p…

The Bank of Hamilton

The Bank of Hamilton was established in Hamilton, Ontario in 1872. The first branch opened in Winnipeg in 1896. In 1897, plans were already underway for a move to a more prominent location. The building and lot on the south-east corner of Main and McDermot, 395 Main Street, was purchased for $30,000 and extensive alterations and an addition were completed before the bank moved in in 1898. In 1979 it was one of the first building in Winnipeg to receive a heritage designation, along with the Bank of Commerce.


Quick Facts Designed by well-known Chicago-style Winnipeg architect, John D. AtchisonReplaced another Bank of Hamilton on the same site that was damaged by the construction of the Bank of Commerce next door395 Main became the Main Street branch of the Bank of Commerce following the merging of the two Winnipeg branches in the 1920sThreatened with demolition to make space for a parking lot in the 1970s along with the Bank of Commerce

Building the New Bank of Hamilton
In 1915, it was dis…