Skip to main content


Showing posts from September, 2016

Fort Street & Notre Dame

The Vendome Hotel This week, the Vendome Hotel, located at 308 Fort Street, made it onto the agenda at City Hall to the Standing Policy Committee on Property and Development, Heritage and Development.   The recommendation was from the Historical Buildings and Resources Committee for this 118-year-old hotel to be added to the List of Historical Resources under the Historical Resources By-law 55/2014 with the following Character Defining Elements:

A.  Exterior:

1.  Four-storey brick building with a flat roof located on the west side of Fort Street, its main facade east onto Fort Street, its south facade partially hidden by neighbouring building, and its west and north facades facing the back lane; and

2.  The front (east) facade with ground floor openings with arched transoms with leaded glass, the upper floors with ornamental brickwork and windows in arches openings and flag pole.

B.  Interior:

1.  Wood finishes of the main (south) staircase including the handrail on the north side.


The Winnipeg Police Service & The Winnipeg Police Museum

Early Winnipeg & The Police In its beginning, Winnipeg grew rapidly. According to the Dominion Census, Winnipeg had a population of just 241 people in 1871. When it officially became a city in 1874, it was close to 5,000. Such a huge jump in population meant more crime, and the Winnipeg Police Force had to respond. When the CPR arrived in Winnipeg in 1881 there was another large influx, and the population rose to 7,985. People came from other parts of Canada, and many immigrants came from overseas. In 1911 the population reached 136,035. The city expanded to new suburbs, and was comprised of about 25 square miles.   Winnipeg was the last urban city point before the “wild" North-West, and Winnipeg always had some of that “wild” in it. There was a lot of liquor and prostitution, both of which were major issues for the police force. The first Chief of Police, John Ingram, had a reputation as a scrapper. The mayor at the time did not think well of him at all. Ingram also had a well-…

Our Own English Garden: Assiniboine Park

Assiniboine is a large, popular park in Winnipeg. If you visited Assiniboine Park over the summer of 2016, you likely saw large groups of people playing the game Pokémon Go. The Pokémon Go craze may have inspired a large surge in visitation to the park, but it's always been a popular place for Winnipeggers.

The idea for Assiniboine Park came up in 1893, when the first parks board of Winnipeg was created. They wanted to create a large park in Winnipeg, based off English parks.

The board purchased 283 acres of land along the Assiniboine River. They decided they would house the city’s zoo in this park, and also had other ideas for what they would do with the space.

The Pavilion
The first pavilion was built in 1908. Assiniboine Park didn’t officially opened in 1909, but people were using the park and pavilion before that. Winnipeg architect John S. Atchison designed the original pavilion, and it cost $19,000 to build. The City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee describes it as …